Name: Emma Williams
Twitter name: @Latin_Tutoring
Subject taught (if applicable): Latin and English
Position: Classroom teacher
What is your advice about? Staying sane
- Ignore the rhetoric of senior leaders; according to them, everything is a priority, which is meaningless.
- Learn to recognise what’s really important and what’s this week’s supposed “priority” that will fall by the wayside.
- Mark fast and mark smart – you don’t have to absorb and correct every nuance. We teach the students to skim and scan, that’s what you should be doing.
- Take a few minutes at the end of every week to email home about students who are trying hard and behaving well for you; it banks an enormous amount of goodwill.
- Use the holidays to plan and prepare to shorten your working day in term time; too many teachers end up in the binge-work-followed-by-exhaustion-switch-off cycle.