Name: Graham Hartland
Twitter name: @ramtopsgrum
Subject taught (if applicable): Biology
Position: Head of department
What is your advice about? Writing reports
- When you mark a substantial piece of work, write strengths and weaknesses as brief comments into your markbook. Use these to help write longer reports.
- If the report is tick box, then find out – and be consistent with how you use – the criteria for the tick box.
- Be bold. Be honest. Be truthful. Be accountable. If you say a thing, have you the evidence to back this up in front of the parent later?
- Comfort the afflicted; afflict the comfortable. But then you’d be doing this in class anyway. Reports should never be a surprise to the student.
- Like exams, preparing for reports should start as soon as the student walks into your classroom. Observe and interact with your students. Make notes.