Name: David Wees
Twitter name: @davidwees
Sector: Early Years,Primary,Secondary,Special school
Subject taught (if applicable): Math
Position: Formative Assessment Specialist
What is your advice about? Instructional Routines
- Establish instructional routines for teaching math.
- Use one of these instructional routines everyday until you and your become completely fluent in the steps of the routine.
- Use routines other people have invented already and ideally ones which you have experienced directly yourself. There’s no reason to re-invent teaching everyday.
- Make sure that the routines offer you opportunities every time you use them to see how your students understand the math that day.
- Once you and your students become fluent in the steps, test different decisions within the routine and see what happens. Find a colleague to talk about this work with you.