Name: Jennifer Avery
Twitter name: @missjavery
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? Settling in to a new school
- Get to know your department – they are the ones who will help you out when you really need it.
- Find out where to access any shared resources, and how to add to it. Most departments will plan together to create a generic scheme of work to work off.
- Get to know the support staff. Although not a complete list: TAs, Learning Mentors, IT Support, Caretakers, Cover, Timetabling, Cleaners. They will know more than you!
- Know the behaviour policy inside out. There is nothing worse than not being clear on expectations or where (or who!) to escalate the issue to.
- Know what is expected of you. Do most teachers run extracurricular activities? How often should you mark books?