Twitter name: @JoBullen1
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Subject Leader
What is your advice about? Teaching A Level Literature
- Know your stuff. Annotate the text thoroughly, read study guides, follow links online – whatever it takes to make you an expert.
- Don’t neglect writing skills at the expense of content. Build in short writing tasks, perhaps only focusing on one or two assessment objectives.
- Encourage academic reading around the topic. Physically put it in front of them if necessary, and direct them to take notes.
- Insist upon discussion. Let the silence sit if necessary, and use different strategies to force students to contribute.
- Treat them like your other classes. Six short weeks ago they were Year 11s – the same rules apply.