Name: Anthony Smith
Twitter name: @AntSchmitt
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: 2nd in Dept
What is your advice about? Behaviour, their first impressions.
- Children, as we all do, will make a judgement about what kind of teacher you will be within the first few moments of watching you in the classroom.
- Nearly all children change their behavaiour as a result of who they preceive you to be, if you seem strict, they’ll assume you are, and then behave better.
- If kids are uncertain about what kind of teacher you are, a few will test you with challenging behaviour; to see if you’ll do what they can’t: exercise control.
- Be very aware of how you feel when a child challenges you, children can be keenly aware of teachers’ feelings and use them to manipulate, control and provoke.
- Acknowledge, praise and reward: they’re different actions with different effects, make sure you understand and use them appropriately.