Name: Christopher Parsons
Twitter name: @chrismwparsons
Position: Deputy Head (Academic)
What is your advice about? The Setting of Classroom Routines
- Create habitual routine behaviours in pupils to automate regularly needed procedures.
- Habits are hard to break, feel weird if not completed, can take place without conscious direction, and indeed free-up working memory to be thinking about something else.
- Key habitual routines make it EASIER to do lessons which break from the mould – they give you a ‘concrete lining’ which limits uncertainty and chaos in your mind and theirs.
- Focus particularly on the beginnings & ends of days and lessons, transition moments, and a ‘reset’ procedure for getting everyone back focused and organised.
- Habits need constant initial reinforcement for 3 weeks or more; remind & nag in a way which might feel excessive, but which will pay huge dividends if you want to be creative.