Name: David Williams
Twitter name: @davowillz
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: KS4 English Coordinator
What is your advice about? Teaching Spelling to a whole class in secondary school.
- Give pupils a standardised spelling test in Y7 to screen for significant difficulties. Repeat this test at the end of term to check for progress.
- Identify a sound that some pupils are getting wrong (ie in believe for example. Get pupils to write out all or lots of words with the same sound and spelling (field thief relieve believe etc).
- Model sounding out aloud and writing these words (beware schwa). Then get pupils to do this themselves.
- Quiz pupils on this list at random over the next few lessons. Repeat sounding out and writing if necessary.
- Teach words with the same sound but different spelling at an entirely different time to avoid confusion.