Salary by @Schoolburs

Name: SBM
Twitter name: @Schoolburs
Sector: Secondary
Subject taught (if applicable):
Position: Sbm
What is your advice about? Salary

1: Fill in a P46 if you don’t have a P45.

2: Check your tax code – usually 1060l if you have no other income.

3: Speak to the SBM/HR/payroll if you need help with it.

4: Ask about childcare vouchers if relevant.

5: Join the Teachers Pension Scheme!

Money by @adamcreen

Name: Adam Creen
Twitter: @adamcreen
Sector:  Secondary
Subject: Maths
Position: Head of Maths
5 Bits of Advice About:  Money

  1. Join all the teacher unions for free when training. Download all of their publications for free.
  2. Join your subject association(s) when training as it costs less. Decide who to stick with once you qualify.
  3. Claim tax back on your union and subject association subs. Don’t pay a rip-off company to do this for you.
  4. If you buy textbooks or equipment to use solely in your teaching, claim the tax back on those as well. Even PE kit (if you teach PE) is eligible.
  5. Start checking your pension records as soon as you start teaching. Make sure all of your jobs and dates are correct.