Name: Rebecca Nobes
Twitter name: @bexn91
Subject taught (if applicable): Spanish and French
Position: Second in Department
What is your advice about? Motivating students to learn MFL (remember, they may not already love it at much as you do!)
- Find a way of linking the language learning to their own lives – why will it potentially be important for them? What unexpected jobs will they be able to get?
- Teach them about the culture – not just of France/Spain but of all of the other countries where they are spoken too. See how much they already know and open their eyes to the other places they can go to.
- Give them ways to use the language outside of the curriculum – can you start a Spelling Bee, a Eurovision completion, a debate club?
- Expose them to a good range of language – make them feel like they know loads, boost their confidence by using texts with cognates and getting them to prove how much they can understand.
- Get the whole school on board – when students can see how much everyone values language learning or regrets that they didn’t study a language they start to get the message.