Twitter name: @fizzixteach
Subject taught (if applicable): Physics
Position: Head of Physics
What is your advice about? Parents’ Evenings
- Plan ahead: give yourself as easy a day as possible on the day and the day after. Arrange a test, or computer lesson, or whatever is reasonable but lightens your load.
- If at all possible, get off site between the end of the school day and the start of the evening. Even for 5 minutes.
- Have a folder of data, targets, test scores etc with you to refer to. Even better if they’re coloured in!
- Showing off the child’s work to the parent – for good or bad reasons – seems to have a very strong effect. Maybe have the class’s books on hand?
- When you can’t remember a child’s name, greet the parent(s) with “Hi, it’s Mr and Mrs…. oh, I’m really, sorry, I’ve not learned all the surnames yet”. When they tell you, your class list will fill in the first name for you.