Name: Chris Parsons
Twitter name: @chrismwparsons
Subject taught (if applicable):
Position: Deputy Head (Academic)
What is your advice about? Differentiation
- Don’t start by assuming that individual uniqueness means that a difference should always MAKE a difference.
- Except for obvious outliers, don’t predestine children by separating and pigeon-holing them before each lesson begins.
- “Keep the pack together” where possible with the best teaching approach you can imagine using to teach a concept. Children like togetherness & it helps you focus your quality.
- Think ‘adaptation’ to differences which arise, rather than discriminating difference for the sake of it. Going through the motions of personalisation is a naïve delusion of our omniscience.
- Have open-access mechanisms for challenge/support, which can be applied to anyone as the need arises so as to ensure that all students are able to access & engage in appropriately challenging work.