Position: Assistant Headteacher
5 Bits of Advice About: Surviving your first Christmas in Primary
- Visit Poundland and invest in a Christmas hat. You will need it either for the Christmas dinner, party or as a reward in the classroom.
- Xmas is great fun but also incredibly busy. Identify the key tasks- who do you make cards for, does every child need a party hat etc and plan them into your timetable.
- Children love Xmas but they also like structure, so don’t abandon all the routines you have worked so hard to embed. Keep the focus on teaching until the very end of term.
- Don’t buy presents but give a laminated photo of the child or similar. Cheaper and easier.
- If you receive gifts, open them with the kids so that they can tell their parents that you like them, but make it clear to others that the only gift you need is a smile.