Name: None given
Twitter: None given
Subject: All subjects
5 Bits of Advice About: Modelling Writing
- Model almost every piece of writing you want kids to do. It’s the simplest and most direct teaching method.
- Start by writing the first couple of sentences yourself (commenting on the grammatical features & referring to any success criteria you’ve given the children). Pitch it high.
- Then, give sentence openers and ask children to finish the sentence using partner talk. Then ask for particular types of sentence e.g. ‘Starting with Because…’ etc.
- Always try to model the entire section you want children to write – which might mean having a partially completed model already prepared, which you then finish.
- Read the model aloud as a class when it is finished, rub it off/hide it and set your children straight off to write.