Position: 2ic/KS4 Coordinator
5 Bits of Advice About: Contacting parents
- Positive contact home is important and can build relationships. Always try to open and close a conversation with positives-it shows you care.
- Double check parent details for correct names and surnames as well as child protection issues- some parents must/must not receive the contact. Be sure before you call.
- Golden rule: start with a positive, explain the issue, explain the impact of the issue, explain what you have done already, tell them what you intend to do, end with a positive.
- Have specific data and facts ready before you call. Vague comments aren’t helpful. Most parents cannot and will not argue with specific data/ numbers.
- Remember, we may teach over 200 students a week but to the parent you are on the phone to, only their child matters. As a parent, you will understand that too.