5 Bits of Advice About: Using powerpoint
- Enable Presenter View (Google it) and get familiar with it. It is superior in every way to the ‘duplicate view’ that most teachers seem to use.
- Don’t spend ages animating things in a Powerpoint if they’d just be quicker to draw by hand on a whiteboard.
- Don’t write what you’re going to say onto a Powerpoint slide. Work out what you’re going to say, and then just say it.
- When you are about to explain something, display a ‘black’ screen (press ‘b’ while in slideshow view). Their eyes will magically shift to you.
- Use the Powerpoint as a reminder of your planned lesson, e.g. slides with nothing more than one/two-word prompts for your activities and teaching points.