Twitter name: @sjtylr
Sector: International Schools
Subject taught (if applicable):
Position: Teacher, Dir. Learning, IB Coordinator
What is your advice about? Teaching international students
- Value students’ identities by learning their real names rather than assigning English names. It’s Kyu-Min, not ‘Kenny’.
- Practice pronunciation of kids’ names and check with them to avoid embarrassing errors.
- We’re all language teachers. You will need to take more time to teach the vocabulary and conventions of your subject.
- Remember that humour doesn’t always translate. If in doubt, don’t.
- Remember that students are often in transition. New students coming part-way through the year might have missed transition support and can get left behind. Leaving students need support too.