Name: The Grumpy Teacher
Twitter name: @grumpyteacher17
Subject taught (if applicable):
What is your advice about? Starting out in TEFL in Germany
- Do a qualification. You can get TEFL work without one but it’s a very useful experience: just be sceptical of the underlying ideology.
- Learn enough of the language that you can give instructions in German if necessary.
- Wear a suit. Yes, you’ll probably be the only one, so Germans don’t expect it, but it does help with your credibility.
- The conventional wisdom is that lots of time should be devoted to ‘production’ tasks focussed on ‘fluency’. Unless the students are at a very high level already, this is unrealistic; fortunately it’s also unnecessary.
- Tell ’em they’re wrong all the time. They’ll appreciate it, and you, much more than if you let things go because the meaning is clear: your students want to get it right and they want you to help them get it right.